Terms and Conditions
Terms of reference
a) Metropolitan Works is part of the Department of Art Media and Design at London Metropolitan University. It is a business unit established to support business development for Creative Businesses.
b) Terms and conditions given here are for all the activities relating to Metropolitan Works, and its initiatives that include but not limited to Furniture Works, Gold Works, the Digital Manufacturing Centre, and the Isos Collection.
c) Metropolitan Works is based at London Metropolitan University’s Commerial Road site within the City Campus at 41 Commerfial Road, London E1 1LA. Metropolitan Works’ Digital Manufacturing Centre also occupies space at the University’s Central House site at 59-63 Whitechapel High Street, London E1 7PF. Metropolitan Works is a trading name of London Met Enterprises Ltd, which is a wholly owned subsidiary of London Metropolitan University. Registered Number 2447470. Registered office London Met Enterprises Ltd Finance Dept, 166 – 220 Holloway Road, N78DB.
1. By viewing the London Metropolitan University (AKA LondonMet) website the user is deemed to consent to all terms and conditions set out below. If you have any questions regarding the terms and conditions, you should contact the University Company Secretary.
2. The University reserves the right at all times to vary, change, alter, amend, add to or remove any of these items. By browsing the website you accept that you are bound by the current terms and conditions and notices and we therefore recommend that you check these each time you visit the site.
3. All copyright and other intellectual property rights in any material contained in this website is either owned by the University or has been licenced to the University by the rights owners. The website contains trademarks, including the University’s name. Use of these trademarks is forbidden unless prior written permission has been obtained from the owner of the trademark.
4. The user may access any part of the site and download or copy material (by printing off individual pages on to paper) or download material onto disc (but not on to any server or other device connected to a network) for personal non-commercial use only. The University shall retain the copyright in such material or where the material has been licenced to the University, by the rights owners of the material.
5. Links to the University website are not permitted other than to the Home Page except with prior written permission. Links to the University website from within a frameset definition are not permitted except with prior permission.
6. You may not remove any copyright, trademark or intellectual property notices contained in the original material from any material downloaded or copied from the website.
7. Copying, distributing or any use of the materials contained on the web site for any commercial purpose is prohibited.
You may not create a database by systematically downloading substantial parts of the website.
8. The content of the website is for general information only and does not constitute any form of advice or recommendation upon which a specific decision should be made. The University has done its best to ensure the accuracy and currency of the materials contained on its website but excludes any warranty express or implied as to quality, accuracy, timeliness, completeness or fitness for a particular purpose of the material contained this website. The University will not be liable for any claims, penalties, loss, damages or expenses arising from the use or the inability to use the website or from any unauthorised access or alteration to the website [by a third party]. This clause shall not exclude liability for death or personal injury directly caused by the negligence of the University.
9. The University accepts no responsibility for loss or damage that may arise from reliance on information or advice contained on its website.
10. The University website includes links to external websites. These links are provided to help you find additional information quickly and easily. The University accepts no responsibility for the content of these websites and specifically excludes to the fullest extent permitted by law all liability that may arise with respect to or as a result of such material causing damage, costs, injury or financial loss of any kind.
11. Whilst the University website may from time to time contain advertising material, the University does not endorse or accept any liability for any of the products or services so advertised, or for any error or inaccuracy in the advertisements. Advertisers and sponsors are responsible for ensuring that material submitted for inclusion on the website complies with all relevant laws.
12. These terms are not intended to confer any benefit on a third party under the provision of the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999.
13. Any rights not expressly granted herein are reserved to the University.
14. The University reserves the rights at any time to suspend or terminate your access to or use of the website.
15. (a)These Terms & Conditions of use shall be construed and interpreted in accordance with English law. The courts of England shall [subject as set out in clause 17(b)] have exclusive jurisdictions in relation to any claim, dispute or other matters arising therefrom.
(b) For the exclusive benefit of the University, it shall retain the right to bring proceedings in the Courts of the country of residence of any user of the website.
16. We may intercept and monitor all communications with the University.
17. If any provision of these terms and conditions is found to be invalid by any Court having competent jurisdiction, the invalidity of that provision will not effect the validity of the remaining provisions of these terms and conditions which shall continue to have full force and effect.
The failure by the University to exercise any right or remedy under these terms and conditions shall not constitute a waiver of that right or remedy.
Conditions relating to course information
Metropolitan Works’ prospectuses and web pages are intended as a general guide to the Centre’s courses and facilities and form no part of any contract between you and the Centre except as provided below.
Metropolitan Works’ prospectus and web pages are prepared in advance of the University’s academic year to which they relate. Although reasonable steps are taken by the Metropolitan Works and the University to provide the courses and services described, the Metropolitan Works or the University cannot guarantee the provision of any course or facility. Any course may be altered or withdrawn owing to circumstances beyond Metropolitan Works’ and the University’s control. Such circumstances include (but are not limited to) industrial action, lack of demand, departure of key personnel, change in Government policy, withdrawal or reduction of funding, change of Law.
In the event of the cancellation of a course, Metropolitan Works and the University will refund any deposit paid as part payment towards that same course. Metropolitan Works and the University will not be liable for any other out of pocket expenses such as travel and accommodation.
Digital Manufacturing Centre Bureau work
Everyone accessing services offered by the Digital Manufacturing Centre are required to possess current Metropolitan Works Membership.
All work is individually priced and quoted. All quotes have to be agreed in writing before any work starts.
Lead times and completion dates are given in good faith, and while every effort will be made to meet the date requested, Metropolitan Works will not be held responsible for any liability over and above the value of the job quoted for.
Payment for all Metropolitan Works good and services can be made by credit or debit card, or by cash. Payments should be made in advance, or at the point of collection. Goods and services will not be released until full payment has been received, except where a credit account has been agreed.
Under certain circumstances, Metropolitan Works is able to offer credit accounts. Requests for accounts are considered on an individual basis by the Centre Manager or the Finance Manager.
All work carried out by Metropolitan Works will remain the property of Metropolitan Works until cleared funds are received in full.
All work handled by the Digital Manufacturing Centre will be treated as confidential and will not be discussed referred to outside of Metropolitan Works staff except for the express reason of achieving results asked for by the client.
Due to the nature of the centre, visitors and clients occasionally have supervised access to the Digital Manufacturing Centre workshops. If your work is of a particularly sensitive nature, please inform our Bureau Administrator at the quoting stage, so that we can ensure privacy for your work.